Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Finally in the South Island!!

I took the ferry over to the south island last thursday. The boat looked like a cruise ship and it would have been nice to walk around and see all of it but the body of water that we were crossing, the Cook Strait, was a little rough that day so to keep my motion sickness in check I had to find a nice comfy chair and sleep the three hour voyage away.

When I got to Blenheim I found out that all the vineyard work was taken. So instead of grape picking I went on a wine tour. It was a really good deal. It was a really good deal. A van picked me up from my hostel and then me and two other people visited four wineries. I didn't get to see how the wine was made but I did get to taste lots of wine. I know you are supposed to taste the wine and then spit it out, but come on, I had a driver and everything was already paid for. We spent a half hour at each winery and tasted at least 4 wines from each one. The two other people on the tour were from Turkey and England. They used to work on a boat and shared some crazy stories and we all started getting tipsy on the wine.

At one winery we finished the tasting a little early. Right next to the winery was a local distillery so we went over there and they gave us free shots. It was great. I just walked around and pointed to a bottle and then they gave me a shot glass filled with it. I trield their zambuca and had made a comment that it tasted more like Jagermeister than other zambucas. The driver, George, looked at me and laughed. He said that all of a sudden I had an opinion. I laughed too because he was right. At each wine tasting someone would ask me what I thought and I always didn't really have an opinion. I know nothing about wines and this was the first time that I was tasting most varieties. But shots and hard alcohol I know plenty about so I def had opinions then.

The tour last 3 hours and I was dropped off at my hostel at 5. I just chilled out enjoying my typsy ness when Jacky, a girl I share a room with, invited me to come along with her while she got her haircut. So went to another room where Camillo cut Jacky's hair. Camillo shared the room with Oscar. While Camillo was cutting Jacky's hair Oscar and I realized that we had both went to Big Day Out and we started to share our stories and talk about the bands we say. After the haircut we all went out for drinks. Camillo understands English but he doesn't talk it so Oscar was the translator for the night. So I spent the night drinking and hanging out with some very interesting people.

Besides this one fun filled day I haven't done much of anything in Blenheim. I leave tomorrow to go to Nelson. One of the truck drivers that I got a ride with has family in Nelson so hopefully I will meet up with them tomorrow and they will show me around town. I think my plans to travel with my friend Victoria have fallen through so most likely within a week I will be back on the Kiwi bus and onto more adventures.

Random questions: Who was in the super bowl and who won? Who won Survivor Guatamala? I know I can use the internet to answer these questions but i don't want to waste the time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA Ummm the Superbowl is this weekend, so no one has one yet. The Steelers and the Seahawks are in it though. I'm rooting for the Seahawks because I don't like the Steelers and Hasselbeck is bar cuter than Roethlisberger! I have no idea who won Survivor Guatemala, someone else will have to answer that.

Glad you got to the South Island ok!Hope you're still having fun. Excited for April 2nd!

Anonymous said...

I mean "no one had WON yet.

What an idiot I am!

Anonymous said...

AND I MEANT THAT HASSELBECK IS FAR ... NOT BAR ... CUTER THAN ROETHLISBERGER.

Ugh I need to go back to 3rd grade.

Anonymous said...

That's my girl. Knows nothing about wines, but give her some hooch and she's got an opinion.

See you in 60 days.

Anonymous said...

Danni, the tall sports announcer girl, won. Leave it up to me to answer Survivor questions. Panama starts either this week or next but I have class on Thursday nights now so I won't be going to AC's. Damn, no chicken cutlets for me. Have fun in South Island!

Miss you,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

HAHA MAN I LOVE YOUR PARENTS ... HOOCH IM STEALING THAT WORD!