Friday, February 03, 2006

And another thing about the wine tour...

New Zealand doesn't believe in screens for their windows or doors. It is perfectly normal for birds to be walking and flying around shops and such. Well at one of the wineries we were about to leave and I felt something in my hair. My hair is down past my shoulders now and I am still getting used to it so I thought it was just a bug. I could feel my hair moving around around a lot so I put my arm up and shook my hair...no lie...out flew a bird! It was a small bird but a bird nonetheless and me being in a wine induced mood just started saying a "a bird just flew out of my hair," in a high pitched voice. It was pretty funny and I can't believe I forgot about it last time I wrote.

I leave Nelson tomorrow. The hostel I stayed in was real nice. It had free breakfast and coffee (instant but I'm learning to love it). It also had a pool, sauna, and hot tub. It's like club med for backpackers. I talked to a lot of different people too. It's nice that I have been traveling for four months because now I can share my stories with the other travelers. Before when I first started out I listened a lot and I was jealous of the stories that I didn't have yetm but now I think I have some pretty good ones that I love to share.

Tomorrow I go back on the Kiwi bus. The first stop is a place called Westport. I know nothing about it except that it is an old mining town. I am going to stay there for a couple of days and check it out.

This weekend is Waitangi weekend. The Waitangi treaty basically was the treaty that had the indigienous people, the Maoris, sign over the land to the British. The treaty is much desputed because the treaty that was sign by the Maori was written in there native language, Maori. But when the treaty was translated to English some key words changed and gave the Brits more control (total control). The way the Maoris are portrayed to the tourists and the way that the Kiwis I have met think of the Maoris are completely different. There is an underlying racism that most non Maori kiwis have of the Maoris. I would love to write more but my time is up and the space bar is acting funny, mainly its running off on its own. Peace out

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyse,

I CANT IMAGINE YOU WITH LONG HAIR! S'gonna be weird. Glad you're still having fun.
And c'mon you know what they say ... a bird in the hair is worth two in the bush!

Be safe!

Anonymous said...

Your Mother always thought this trip of yours was "for the birds." I guess you just proved her right.

Speak to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Did the bird poop in your hair?
Yucky. was it a pretty bird?
I have never had a bird in my hair they just pooped on me.
Ok I think I have now totally embarassed you.
Thats what you get for leaving me for 6 momths.
Love and miss you
Mom

Anonymous said...

Were you trying to keep the bird as a pet by hiding it in your hair? I think that must have been one of the funniest experiences you have had.Aunt Janet