Saturday, September 29, 2007

Math By Day, Sushi By Night

I am in the full swing of things with classes right now and boy are they challenging. One class is particularly rough and is keeping me busy. For the first assignment I worked continuously on it for ten days just to hand something in. Because of the time consuming nature of the homework I was a little anxious about this week since I would have not only this classes homework due but also the other class's hw.

Surprisingly though, it was all pretty manageable. The one problem I had was that I had to remember how to code in Matlab. And by remember I mean learn because even though I thought I had learned Matlab before I definetly hadn't. The coding I was doing was terrible. I kept on getting these infinite loops which freeze my computer and make me very upset. I was trudging away at all of this in the lounge on campus when I talked to my friend Briana. She lives about an hour away from me and she had the great idea of going to get sushi. I told her I just wanted to work on the program for a little while longer and then I would head out. I was getting pretty frustrated when suddenly I heard the magical voices of two males disputing the null hypothesis of a statistical inference. If they knew what a null hypothesis was then they probably knew a little about Matlab too. So I turned around and explained to them my problem and asked if they could help. One of them said that they knew the code and could email it to me. Sweet! I am getting homework and help and meeting more people on campus. Now that's multitasking.

I packed up my belongings and headed out to Fusion Sushi in Manhattan Beach and ate until my stomach hurt. And since Briana is a happy enabler of my need for material items we then went to ikea where I bought a really sweet chair. Then I decided that I needed a flat screen tv. Off we went to Circuit City. There was a really good one on sale but of course the Circuit City we were at was out of stock. Have no fear, Briana is on a mission. We hop in the car, find the nearest Circuit City, and buy me a new tv 2 minutes before closing. Now that's shopping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the flat screen. T-38 days til we get to see it!!! Matlab sounds terrible and I'm so glad that's not part of my curriculum.

Miss you,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Glad everything is going so well for you and you are making new friends. I had no doubt that you would do great. Love Aunt Janet

Anonymous said...

ok your deffinatly a looser your picking up guys while trying to figure out math problems.... i have no freeking idea what the hell you was talking about neways so that makes me cool and makes you a dork looser...figure how who i am

Elyse said...

nice try bro...

Briana said...

i'm not sure i enjoy being publicly called an enabler. if i were still your supervisor, i'd tell you to take some accountability for your actions!! but as your friend, i'll refrain from saying it. ;-)