Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Makin plans

My first day in NZ was quite exhausting. I managed to make it to the orientation which was really helpful. I met a handful of other people who just arrived and we all kind of wandered around together buying phones and just checking out the city. Auckland has about 1 million people in it and is built on 48 dead volcanoes, so it is very hilly. Those of you who have been to UMass, think Fearing St. except 15 blocks long. Needless to say I am getting a work out. Most of the people I have met are planning on leaving Auckland today or tomorrow. Auckland is a nice city, but it is expensive to live and eat here so it's not ideal for a backpacker.

I am going to stay here for probably five more days. I booked a free bus tour around the city so I can get glimpse of it all without having to trek up and down the hills ( I don't think my calfs would ever forgive me). I am thinking about buying this bus flexipass called the Kiwi Experience. It's a bus company geared towards backpackers. The pass is valid for 12 months and can get me all around the North Island. I can get on whenever I want and get off whenever I want. While on the bus they set up trips around the areas we are driving through. It sounds like a pretty good deal. I am going to go back into the Bunac office today and talk to the job recruiter to see where she thinks there are jobs and then see if that coincides with this bus pass.

Sadly, despite dollar drink night, I did not go out on my first night in NZ. I was just too tired. I fell asleep at 9pm and didn't wake up until 9 this morning. Hopefully, that sleep will cure the jet lag. Thankfully the hostel is very quiet so I did get a good nights sleep. There are two other girls in my room but we were only all in the room when we were all sleeping so we didn't really talk. I paid for another night in the hostel but I don't know if I am going to stay at this hostel for the rest of my stay in Auckland. The other traveller's are nice, but they just sit around and watch tv. Something I would love to do while in NJ but not in NZ. After I am done writing this I am going to check out some other hostels around. There is one that is right above a night club which looks intriguing since it will probably have more backpackers my age. It is also slightly cheaper than the hostel I am in right now which is a plus.

I haven't eaten lamb yet. I did the typical thing and stuck to food I know, like Rice crispies and Subway. There coffee here is good. It's strong but not too bitter. I heard Wellington is the land of coffee bars and cafes so I think I might make my way down there. Tooting hasn't been a problem yet, but we'll see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is all this talk about t__ting? Remember Elyse, you still have the power.... You are right about the TV thing, especially when there is a new city to explore, even in NJ it isn't so great. Are the New Zealanders more British than the British?

AG

Anonymous said...

Boompsy...tooting....Way too much information!! I/we are just glad to know that you made it down there without problem and you are taking on the city by storm!!
You have made all of our lives easier Thanks.
SOS