Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I am not a morning person

The only person who might actually think I am a morning person is my mom and she thinks that because she has found the key to making me talk in the morning...coffee. When I wake up and come downstairs there is always a coffee there waiting for me. As long as I have coffee I can hold a conversation with ease. Anyone who has had to deal with me in a work capacity knows that I do not function very well without at least one cup of coffee. So I guess I should say I am not a pre cup of coffee morning person.

Anyway there is no way for me to get a cup of coffee before starting work at the hostel so I am always a little grumpy. What adds to the challenge is that I am sleeping in the same room as the other workers. One of them, Gareth, is an extremely nice Welshman. Unfortunately Gareth hasn't figured out that I am unable to form sentences let alone smile within the first few hours of getting up. Every morning when I wake up Gareth rolls over and starts talking to me. Inevitably he tells me I am not my cheery self this morning and I try with all of my will not to tell him to just shut up and leave me alone until I wake up a little more. Usually I just grunt. Poor Gareth then usually runs into me after my cup of coffee and then I am all smiles and I am able to hold a conversation with him. It must be really confusing for him. Maybe I should put a disclaimer on my bed. "Warning: Dangerous to talk to before 1pm."

Another guy in the room, John from Macedonia didn't heed this warning and we got into a fight this morning. I woke up and went to the tv room to watch the news and eat my cereal. The headline was about that person being killed at the Miami International Airport. The only info I knew at this point was that a person was killed and that he had a bag that was suspected of having a bomb in it. There was a guy on tv saying how the us marshals are instructed to shoot to kill in situations like this. Well John comes in and turns to me and asks me how it is possible that us marshals that are so expertly trained would have to kill someone. He wanted to know why they didn't just shoot him in the leg so he couldn't run away. Keep in mind this is only about fifteen minutes after I have woken up so the normally level headed me that loves having debates is not in existence yet. I turn to him and with a lot of attitude in my voice explain that the guy was suspected of having a bomb. The marshals don't care if he can't run away they care if he can't set the bomb off. John didn't like this answer and said that it doesn't make sense why such trained gunners would miss and kill someone. That's when I exploded and said that they did exactly what they needed to do, that they were instructed to shoot to kill. He said oh and that he still didn't think it was right. I felt like saying maybe you should see if you thought it would be right if that person were in Macedonia and was shouting that they had a bomb. But I didn't. Instead I just turned around and ignored him. He's allowed to have his opinions and I think I should be allowed to not have to talk about political things before my first cup of coffee.

We had a full room last night. That means that eight people were sleeping in this room. One of these people started snoring in the middle of the night. I don't mean lightly snoring either. It sounded like Gollum for Lord of the Rings was trying to escape from this guy's body with every breath. I had to actually leave the room and walk around for five minutes because if I didn't I was going to hurt the snorer. I guess you can say my patience is wearing a little thin with this whole hostel thing. It's just people seem to oblivious to the fact that seven other people are sleeping in the same room, less than five feet from each other. I know snoring is something that can't be helped but then this snorer woke up at 7am and started packing to leave. He had lots of plastic bags. So not only did he keep me awake through snoring, he then kept me awake with excessive plastic bag packing.

There's a window war going on in my room as well. With eight people in one room the room is going to smell if you don't let some air in. There is one window in the whole room. Everytime I walk into the room I open it. It's summer here but it still gets kind of cold at night. Each bed at the hostel comes with a top sheet and a comforter so it's not like with the window open you will be freezing. Well John from Macedonia apparently gets cold in the middle of the night. He closes the window every night. And every night I wake up in the middle of the night in stifling heat. So now the window wars have started. Instead of being adult-like and talking to him about it I will instead just wake up in the middle of the night and reopen the window. Gareth agrees with me. We even went so far as to try and barricade the window after we opened it with Gareth's bike. It didn't work last night, John still managed to close it. But tonight, oh oh tonight I will be ready to spring out of my bed and re open it. Ha!

I know all of this is a little childish but whatever. If I wanted to be a responsible adult I would have stayed in the US and got a job.

I definetly think that my next trip in NZ will be up North. I am going to buy a tent and a sleeping bag and go work on a farm for a bit. It will be hard work but it will be worth the experience and I will have an entire tent to myself so I won't be bothered with window wars or snorers. Since I have now had two mocachinos it is time for me to go be my post coffee social butterfly self and find people to talk to who will be utterly confused tomorrow morning when I yet again can't form sentences.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so try this next time someone says you are not your cheery self respond: I'm sorry but until I have my coffee I don't fuction well.

Oy You are cranky.
But I know what it is you miss all of us soooooooooooooo much. So we are all just gonna have to leave you obnoxious blogger comments to remind you what we are all really like.
this is the first of many.
Love you and miss you (just a little when your cranky)

Anonymous said...

I get called Grumpanie when I'm acting like that. I guess we have to make up a name for you. I'm glad you didn't get into it too much with that Macedonian guy because I think that would not have gone over well. You should have just kept saying, "Shoot to kill! Shoot to kill!" LOL! Hopefully people won't try to converse with you prior to the morning coffee anymore. How's Eat?

Miss you,
Stephanie

Briana said...

How do you think I brainwashed you into thinking I was such a good superviser??? It was all of the cups of coffee we consumed during our one-on-ones! While reading about your passive aggressive window wars, I had to giggle because I could only imagine how you would respond if one of your former residents came to you and told you this was going on in their room.

Oh, and I have to agree with your mom...you clearly must miss your family and me soooooo much. =)

And, just reading your blog makes me want to jump on the next flight and see you and travel some more.

And, as for being childish, there's nothing more grown up than being brave enough to take the path untaken and drop everything and go to New Zealand by yourself.

Smooches,
B