Monday, February 06, 2006

Nelson and beyond

The only thing semi productive that I did in Nelson was to call Tania. Tania is the sister of one of the truck drivers that I got a ride with. He gave me her number before I left him. When I called I just asked Tania if she had any suggestions of what I should go see. She wound up picking me up and showing me some beaches that I wouldn't be able to see without a car. I then went back to her house and had a bbq with her and her family. I am consistently amazed at the friendliness of Kiwis. I am also amazed at how I didn't hesitate to call Tania. Back home I would have never called. It's just too random and awkward and she would have been suspicious of why I was calling. But traveling on my own I am looking for any chance to meet more people. And even though I am traveling alone, I never really am alone. There are always people around and it's just whether I choose to talk to them or not.

Anyway, the next day I hopped on the Kiwi bus. The first stop was the Abel Tasman National Park. I laid on the golden sand beach and watched the speed boats and kayekers. I have been on a lot of beaches lately and for good reason. The farthest point between land and beack in NZ is 130km. Since I have been traveling around the coasts I am always within walking distance of a beach. After Abel Tasman we stopped for the night in Westport. Since I have the time I stayed an extra night there. There isn't too much to do in Westport but I did walk to where the Buller Gorge River meets the Tasman Sea. It was a pretty great view. There were beach and mountains all in one view.

Mountains. The thing about mountains is that the bus has to drive up and over or around them. That means the trip is full of windy roads. That views are amazing but my stomach isn't impressed. It feels like a prolonged roller coaster (minus my screaming). I thought I had finally outgrew my motion sickness but I think I got it for life. I might actually have to break down and buy motion sickness pills. I do not want to be the girl who threw up on the bus.

Today I got back on the bus and left Westport. We did a walk on Cape Foulwind which has a natural fur seal colony. So at around 10 this morning I got to see seals in there natural habitat. Pretty cool. (Man I have the life). And if you are wondering where the pics are, the comps I am using lately can't upload them so it looks like you'll have to wait a bit.

The south island mentality is kind of like the mentality of the south of the US. Everything is a little slower and the towns are a lot smaller. Mullets are in abundance and their accents are different from the North Island. NZ has 4 million people total. Of that only 1 million live in the south so things are really spread out.

I hopped off the bus again to stay a night in Greymouth. It's basically the last stop before I hit the boonies of the South Island. The next stop is Lake Manipua, which has an 80 year old ex pro rugby player and that's about it. The kiwi bus riders are the only people that visit it. After a night there I am heading to the Franz Josef Glacier. That's right, within three days I will be walking on a glacier! I am very excited because I can basically guarantee that walking on a glacier will be a once in a lifetime experience. After Franz Josef I head to lake Wanaka. There are some walks that I want to do there so I am planning on spending a couple of days. After Wanaka is Queenstown. I am pretty sure that I won't have internet access until Wanaka or Queenstown. (Don't worry mom I am pretty sure my phone will have reception).

So this is good bye for a week or so, this time not self imposed but location imposed. Feel free to comment amongst yourselves while I am gone!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, simply amazing. Calling up complete strangers to take you on tours. Your just one nervy American kiddo.

Okay you wrote about the Seals, and next the Glacier walk. What about the Penguins? Where are the flipping birds?

We really enjoy reading these blogs. As they say, Keep on Trucking!

Anonymous said...

Your way with words is like butter, we'll talk amongst ourselves while you take a break. Happy belated birthday to daddy-o.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the postcard!! i was really happy to get something from you and it reminded me to check up on your blog. it looks like you are doing tons of cool stuff, albeit no more buger baking.

not sure when your birthdy was but someone else mentioned it so it hope it was fun :)

-jill

Anonymous said...

JILL GETS A POSTCARD!!!! OH ELYSE YOU ARE SO DEAD!!!!

I can't believe mullets left the US, damn us for passing mullets on to any other country. Of all the things we could impart on other cultures, the mullet has surfaced elsewhere. Yipes!

Enjoy the glacier and hug a seal for me! And I concur w/ your daddy-o ... where are the flippin' birds?

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are having a great time and that makes me very happy. Grandpa would have enjoyed this experience with you and I think he probably is. Love you Aunt Janet

Briana said...

Oh Elyse, I have to admit. Sometimes when I don´t have a lot of time to read your blog, I just read the comments left by your parents and Molly! They are just as entertaining!

But I ditto Molly...I send you to another country and you don´t even have the courtesy to send me a thank you post card! Hmmm... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Briana I love reading everyones comments. Especially when Molly and Briana play.
Hope all is going well for everyone in Umass, Spain and Africa. Oy What a bunch.Lots to be proud of. Everyone be safe.

Elyse said...

Molly, you don't get a postcard because I don't have your address. B you don't get a postcard because you don't stay in one place long enough for me to send it. I mean I guess I could just label it Briana Maturi c/o Spain and let them figure it out but I don't really think that will work.