Thursday, March 23, 2006

Goodbye NZ

Before I say goodbye to NZ let me back up and fill you in on what I have done for the past week. St Patrick's Day was pretty fun. It was no NY with a parade but I did drink lots and sing Irish songs and just hang out with a good group of people that I met on my East Cape trip. When Sunday rolled around I hopped on the bus and headed to Auckland. The plan was to only spend the night in Auckland and the next day head further north to the Bay of Islands. Well the bus to the Bay of Islands was full so I was stuck in Auckland for a day. And I had a pretty bad cold. Combine these two things and I was one cranky girl. To add to the crankiness I checked my flight info and found out that my flight to LA from Fiji had been canceled and I had been booked onto one for the day before. This is all fine and good except for the fact that I still wasn't leaving LA to go to NY until the 2nd which meant one night in LA. Let me tell you, I don't want a night in LA. I want to be home in my bed. Finally today I was able to straighten everything out so it's all good now. I will be in NY at 1230am on Sunday, April 2.

Anyway, I sulked my way through my day in Auckland and hopped to the Bay of Islands the next day. When we got to the Bay we drove another half hour to Nafu springs. These were natural mineral baths. Basically it's a mud pit full of bubbly hot water that comes from underground naturally and you spread the mud all over you as an exfoliant. Since the earth's crust is so thin in the north island these natural springs are abundant...but these were the only ones that were free. The only downside is that the springs give off a strong sulfur smell which in turn sticks to your swim suit, even after washing. So for the rest of this trip, including fiji, my swim suit is going to smell like rotten eggs. I think I will live, I may not make many friends but I will survive.

The only other thing I did in the Bay of Islands was take a day trip to Cape Reinga. The cape is the northwestern corner of NZ and it is where the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea meet. The bus left at 7:15am and we headed north. We drove along 90 mile beach which is a beach but also a highway. It's not really 90 miles and if you want to know how they thought it was 90 miles I'll explain in person. It was pretty cool to drive along the beach. Once we got down the beach enough to make sure we could get off before tide came in we hopped off and waded in the water. The driver showed us how to pick shellfish and we had a nice little snack of raw shellfish on the beach. We hopped back on the bus and got off of the beach via a stream.

Halfway up the stream we stopped to look at some really high sand dunes. When I say really high I mean 80 meters (about 240ft) and when I say stopped to look at I mean we walked up the dune and used a boogie board to ride back down. It was a pretty cool ride and sand got everywhere. It was a good way to spend an hour. Afterwards we hopped back on the bus and headed to a beach for lunch. We hung out again and then finally made our way to the Cape.

The Maori's believe the cape is the departure point for spirits to head home so usually there are some families grieving. It is a very spiritual place. You can actually see where the two bodies of water meet. The tasman sea is very green and the pacific ocean is very blue so when they mix it's a pretty cool site.

Seeing the Cape was very important to me. It marked the end of my trip in NZ. It was the last thing that wanted to do. I have spent much time in the Tasman Sea and much time in the Pacific Ocean since being here and I finally saw them both meet. It meant a lot.

Now I am back in Auckland and I am staying at Ana's place again. That's where I stayed for Big Day Out. Today is Friday and I fly to Fiji on Sunday. Tomorrow, I am going to see The Living End play one more time. One of Ana's flatmate's sisters is going and she said she would give me a ride. So I am going to spend my last full day in NZ seeing my favorite band play again. Not a bad gig.

The plan for Fiji is to work on my tan so everyone is jealous when they see me for the first time. The rumor is that internet in Fiji is pretty expensive so most likely this is my last blog until I am home. I can't really process this trip yet, that's what I hope Fiji is for.

I am looking foward to seeing familiar faces and hearing familiar voices and just being around everyone again. I can't wait to not live out of a backpack or sleep in bunk beds. I am sad that this trip in NZ is over but I am thankful for the time I had here and I can't wait to be in Jerz.

Here are some pics:


A car on 90 mile beach that didn't make it out before the tide came in. It's been there for two months and all of the damage done is due to the Tasman Sea.

The bus takin a break on the beach/highway

The dunes and us boarding down them

The streamwe drove through to get to the dunes and off of the beach

The Tasman Sea


The Pacific Ocean

Where they meet. The white water is the different waves from the two bodies of water meeting

The final thing I wanted to see can now be crossed off

See you soon!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elyse, you look terrific and we are really proud of you. Your ancestors would approve, travelling to distant lands. But don't get any ideas about pillaging, it is considered bad form these days. Can't wait to see you.

AG

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo, Fosse is coming back!! Can't wait! You look great and the pics are amazing. When's the big party when you're back in Jersey? Have a safe trip!

Love ya,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh each time you post a picture of yourself I realize that I miss you sooooooooooo much and can't wait to hug you. Get ready for some heavy duty "PDA's".
Enjoy fiji. See you in 9 days. Just have to keep Daddy under control. He will make us leave for the airport Sat morning to pick you up.

Love and MISS you
Mom

Anonymous said...

WOW WOMAN! YOU LOOK EFFIN FANTASTIC! I can't believe your adventure is almost over either and the saddest part is I am supposed to be on the beach in Fiji with you soaking in the sun and pickin up hottie cabana boys! ROUGH that I'll be at work instead. Can't wait to have you back in the 'herst w/ Rachel and Keri .... have a safe flight back and call me soon!

Anonymous said...

Please, Please, Please make sure you are not wearing the swimsuit when you come home. I don't think your fellow airline passengers will appreciate the smell.

Don't worry, you still get a big hug and kiss no matter what you smell like! See you in 8 days

Anonymous said...

ELYYYYYYSE!!
WOW, i can't believe you're gonna be home next week!! This is awesome, and we should mos def. have a PARTYY!!!! These pics are awesome too, you look GREAT!! You're like a whole new person! I hope you have an AMAZING time in Fiji! I can't wait to see you when you get back, and actually HEAR about your trip in person! We're gonna party like rockstars! haha, have safe flights and i will SEE YOU SOON!!!
ps. congrats on seeing the living end, not once, but TWO TIMES!! woo hoo, that makes me soo proud!!
~Erin