Thursday, October 27, 2005

I am a stupid stupid girl

I woke up this morning, put my cell phone on my bed and then went to clean rooms. When I came back three hours later, my phone and my ipod, which was in my backpack next to my bed were gone. The guy whose name I don't know that had been sleeping in my room was also gone. I was soo stupid and didn't lock my stuff up and now it's stolen. I had to go to the police station to fill out a report so that I can start my insurance claim. Baahhh.

What sucks is that my cell phone number is the only way for employers to contact me. Now they have the wrong number. After I left the police station I went and bought another phone, so tomorrow I am going to retrace my job hunt steps and update the information.

In perspective, things could have been worse. My credit cards and passport were on me and my digital camera wasn't in it's case, it was in a shoe (dis-organisation helped me there). I think the worst thing about this was that there was this guy Ben who was around when I realized that my stuff was stolen and all he could do was tell me how it should have been expected since my stuff was just lying about. I know he's right and all but I didn't want to hear it. If I wasn't so stunned I think I would have told him to shut up. Fortunately my english boys were there and one them told him to shut up about it. I feel like a wuss since I was near tears over a stolen phone and ipod. I think what got me is just that my stuff was stolen, not the actual material property of it, but my ownership. I have no idea if that makes sense.

Anyway, besides that debacle things are good. Alan and I went to a punk show last night. It was good to go somewhere else besides the hostel bar. The bands were good too. There's another concert in a couple of months called Big Day Out. It's in Auckland and is a lot of money but...The Living End is playing!! I am definetly considering buying the ticket and just finding a way there when it happens. For those who don't know, The Living End is an Australian band who I have loved since high school. I have never seen them in concert and one of my goals while I was here was to see them. The White Stripes and Franz Ferdinand will be playing too plus a bunch of NZ bands. I think it will def be worth the money. It's just hard to commit to something that is two months away (the concert is Jan 20). But I think the commitment needs to be made. If worse comes to worse I can always sell my ticket when it gets closer.

At the hostel bar there are always drink specials for girls, like dollar refills. Well the boys were upset over the sexism so they conquered it by dressing in drag to take advantage of the specials. It was really funny. They were all trying to play pool in mini skirts. Hilarious.

Basically when I am hanging in the hostel all I really do is play cards and pool. Pool is a little hard here though. Their balls are smaller and the pockets are smaller also. It makes a huge difference. Since the cue ball is smaller, it's center of mass is smaller. That means that if you don't hit right in the center it won't go straight whereas in the states if you don't hit the cue right in the center, it still will go straight. They also play different rules. Say you are solids and you hit a striped ball first, then the next player gets two shots since you fouled. They don't call their shots at all either. It's pretty interesting. Everynight there is a pool competition and the winner gets a 50 dollar bar tab. My friend Nate has won two nights which was great because he is a sharer.

I don't have any plans for Halloween. It does look to be kind of big out here, but they also just started selling fireworks, which apparently are legal so who knows how they celebrate it here. I don't know what I will be doing tonight. I ran into the girl from the coffee shop who told me about some jobs and she said she's having a bbq tonight. I want to go, but tonight is also the last night that the English boys will be here. We'll see.

I am kind of bummed about getting my stuff stolen but in the same respect, it was just materialistic stuff. I didn't need the ipod to survive in NZ and cell phones are replaceable. It sucks that it happened but I learned my lesson and everything is going to be locked up constantly. Hopefully the insurance claim will go through easily. And in the end I am still in a beautiful country having fun and having amazing experiences. No worries.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds Like you need a kitchen hug.

We learn from our mistakes, you'll never do it again, cleanliness is next to g-dlyness, did you check your pockets?

Ok if I timed it right you should be laughing right now.
Love you

Anonymous said...

Hey E!
That's the way to look at it, The missing "things" are "things" that can be replaced.

Sounds like a good idea to commit to the concert in January. You know you will still be in the country, and who knows when the bands will be in the states.

Keep you chin up and know we love you,
Dad

Anonymous said...

A New York girl knows better, go have a drink on me.

By the way, the name of "Ocsar Meyer" has now been passed to you!!!!!!

Stay out or trouble and good luck.

Elyse said...

Oscar, if you are going to try and insult me on my own blogger at least try and get read of the errors! And the name can never be passed on. You will forever be a weenie.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the jerks that stole your ipod & phone. You are right, it is not so much losing the things, but the feeling that your space was violated and that people cannot always be trusted. But, remember, the English guys stuck up for you and there are other ipods & phones. And, maybe the thief is a huge Barry Manilow fan and won't they be disappointed to get an earful of the White Stripes.

Chin up, we are on YOUR side.

AG

Anonymous said...

HERRRO!!
I'm sorry to hear about your stuff, but i'm sure you've already heard that enough so i am here to say, GO TO THE CONCERT!!!! You HAVE to see the living end, it's your dream!!! Hehe, and you can finally see the white stripes since that show we were supposed to go to 2 years ago got cancelled! We will be thinking of you on Halloween, and you will most definitely be getting a drunken message left on your voicemail, so be prepared!! ttyl, have fun with the british boys and try to forget all about nasty dudes that steal!!
~*~Erin~*~

Anonymous said...

sucks you got your stuff stolen... i had my wallet, passport, journal and about $400 stolen in wales. good luck jon hunting - hopefully won't have to toss bags of nasty pillows and blankets in hot weather!

-jill