Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sorry Mandy but...

I jumped out of a plane today! It was one of the best experiences I have ever had. A large group of us from the bus wanted to go yesterday. We were actually at the airport and some of us were suited up but then it started raining so we re booked for today at 10. Well at 10 it was still raining so we re booked again for 2. It looked a little cloudy at 2 but the skydive bus picked us up and within five minutes I was suited up! I had to get into this red jump suit and then they started putting all of these harnesses on me, that's when I started getting nervous, but I was just laughing and kind of giddy after awhile. Within ten minutes we were on the plane, there were six of us plus the real skydivers attached to us. It took about 15 minutes to get to 12,ooo ft. The view going up was great. Once it hit 12,000 ft they opened up the doors and everyone started going. That's when I started to get scared. It was my turn and all i could see were clouds right in front of me but before I knew we had jumped out. Of course I screamed but it wasn't because I was scared it was because I was having fun. We spun around a little bit and then after 45 seconds the chute opened. The difference between free falling and parachuting was very big. During the free fall everything was really loud but after the parachute was opened it was really quiet and calming. I got to look around and see the entire Taupo area. Once we landed I looked a little green and of course my motion sickness kicked in and I had to leave to go to the bathroom. But the motion sickness was well worth it. And no worries, I have the whole thing on a dvd plus pictures of me during the freefall!! I won't be able to put the pics on a website since its a roll of film and not digital. I'm telling you though if you have ever thought of skydiving do it! It is completely worth it.

That's the extent of my excitement for awhile. I hopped off the Kiwi bus and am staying in Taupo for at least two weeks. The goal is to find a job. This place is a resorty area for NZers so with any luck I should be able to find a job. I figure I can work and then take advantage of all the hikes and walks around here when I am not working. I've done a lot within a week and I think it's just time to slow down and enjoy one place instead of hopping from one place to another within a week.

I am also excited to start meeting more locals instead of just other travellers. It's good to meet travellers but I want to get a better feel of the NZ culture. So no more jumping out of planes for awhile and bungy jumping is on hold also(possibly indefinetly). My feet will stay on the ground for at least a month. As they say in NZ "Sweet as bro."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

IF EVERYBODY ELSE JUMP OUT OF AN AIRPLANE, WOULD YOU ALSO? OBVIOUSLY YOU WOULD. WAY TO GO GIRL.

BIG D

Anonymous said...

Very important.............................Did you get your cool free T-Shirt ?

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see those pics! Fosse jumping out of a plane, oh boy! Get a job woman!

~Stephanie

Anonymous said...

What do you mean you jumped out of a plane? I can't even ride in the plane....never do you cease to amaze me!!
Aunt Lynn aka YFA