Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Whoo hoo Volcanoes

Today I took a ferry to Rotiringo Island. It's the youngest volcanoe in the region. I got to walk all the way up to the top of it. The path was made out of lava and as I walked up I was surrounded by chunks of lava and huge trees. It was exciting to walk higher and higher and see that I was catching up to the height of the trees. It took about an hour and a half to walk up it but the view was definitely worth it. I could see Auckland and a bunch of other islands. I could also see the clouds changing. One part was light and sunny and when I turned my head the other way, the sky was full of dark clouds. It was awesome to see. On the walk down I started talking to some of the other people who were at the top when I got there. They gave me some good ideas on how to get cheap hostels. It turns out that most of the hostels here will let you work for your bed. You can work for 3 hours a day in exchange for a room that night. It's not a bad idea.

I have one more day in Auckland until I hop on the Kiwi Experience bus. I am excited to go and see more of the country side and meet more people. I met some cool people at this hostel and we are all exchanging email addresses so if we wind up in the same region at the same time we can hang out (and crash at each others apartments). I have to say that I am really tired right now. I feel the way I did after a soccer game when I was younger. The volcanoe definetly wore me out. It was an awesome feeling though to just keep pushing myself to walk more since I knew the view would be great. I haven't really done anything that active oriented since before college. It was good to remember that these boots were made for walking.

Tomorrow is laundry day(yes I am doing laundry instead of buying more underwear) but tonight is but one get one beers. The beers here are good. There is a light one called export gold(that's the one that is bogo). This other beer, Tui, is my favorite. Its a little dark but soo smooth. I enjoyed myself when it was dollar Tui night.

Yeah so I thought I would be cool and buy that new moisturizer that tints your skin so that it looks tan. I figured it would help with my blindingly white legs. Well turns out I'm allergic to it but I didn't realize it so I put it all over my body for the past couple of days. Boo on allergies. I should just learn that I have to stick to the boring vaseline intensive care stuff. Who knew I was such a delicate flower?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey lady! Its the X-Factor here. Glad your doing good. And who has to worry about farting when thier getting slammed by automatic doors?! and i hope your Kiwi Experience(uhh...gay)is fabulous. oh and erin and i are making this band happen. We'll save u a spot while your pita and peanut buttering it up and maybe even start our tour in Fiji. hooray for us. talk to you soon. *cheese*

Anonymous said...

I read this one already. If this is gonna work I need daily updates.

Love you and guess what????? Miss you.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Volcanoes and Peanut Butter!! BOO on self tanners!! Man, those things never work for me, they should be illegal!! "Got BOGO on the brain?" haha, remember that payless commercial? Buy one get ones are great, whether they are shoes, or beer!! Oh yeah, how many sheep have you seen so far?? Lots i'm asuming!! Anyways, have fun, be safe!!
PS. i broke my toe!! Left foot, ringfinger toe, haha, one of the pots fell off the hook on the wall right onto my toe, and boy did it hurt!! Even the doctor said it looked really nasty, it's totally purple! haha, i'm silly.
ttyl,
~*~Erin~*~